Transfer of marriage allowances

You are here: Home » News & Views » Transfer of marriage allowances

  • What’s new this month
Image for Transfer of marriage allowances

Marriage allowance lets you transfer £1,150 of your personal allowance to your husband/wife/civil partner.

In order to qualify you must:

  1. Be married / in a civil partnership
  2. One spouse/partner must earn less than £11,500
  3. Your partner’s income is between £11,501 and £45,000

This will reduce the overall tax bill by up to £230 every tax year.

“If you are eligible for marriage allowance on 2017/18 tax year you can back date your claim to April 6th, 2017 and reduce the tax bill even further,” said Peter Way-Rider, tax manager at Ellis & Co.

For further information about marriage allowance or any other tax matter, contact Ellis & Co on 01244 343504.